Tecon Rio Grande: Improving Productivity through Cross-Functional Collaboration
"With the acquisition of new cranes and technology, our significant investment in terminal improvements has reinforced Tecon Rio Grande as one of the best terminals in Brazil – with nine STS and 22 RTG cranes, capable of serving the largest vessels that call on Brazilian ports."
- Paulo Bertinetti, Terminal Executive President Director, Tecon Rio Grande
- Located in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Intermodal terminal with rail operations, barge operations, and road operations.
- The first terminal in Brazil to implement Navis (1999).
- Tecon RG achieved 720,000 TEU in 2016.
- 670,000 sq. meter yard operation, 900 meters of the quay, 9 STS cranes, 22 RTG cranes, 56 reach-stackers.
- First Brazilian terminal to utilize a fully automated gate operations and automated rail operations.
ABOUT TECON RIO GRANDE
Tecon Rio Grande, a subsidiary of Wilson Sons Group located in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, is a large intermodal terminal. Between rail, road, and barge operations, cargo is constantly moving. Tecon RG is built upon a 900-meter quay with 9 STS cranes, 22 RTG cranes, 56 reach-stackers, and 677 vessels per year. To ensure an increase in productivity, Tecon RG invested 40 million dollars in 3 new STS Super Post Panamax cranes and 8 new RTGs. Altogether, Tecon RG sees a 720,000 TEU throughput annually. In order to keep consistently high efficiency and productivity levels, Tecon RG became the first terminal in Brazil to implement Navis in 1999, and now continues to upgrade and evolve with the software, this time upgrading to N4 3.4.
Tecon RG’s N4 goals revolved around efficiency and productivity. In order to move containers faster, Tecon RG operations require a complete system that provides streamlined, well-organized data. By utilizing N4 as both an operational system and a back-office database, Tecon RG can implement its own modules to support the master data, as well as rely on Navis’ Expert Decking and PrimeRoute for enhanced productivity. Increased data availability & sharing provides for more reliable EDI messaging between Tecon RG and its customers, and improved recording & monitoring means tools are available to source data from conception to end user.
Not only have operations increased through N4 upgrades and applications of both Navis & Tecon RG’s own modules, but Tecon RG also utilized Navis Professional Services for operations coaching. Through a training course that Tecon RG dubbed a “mini-MBA of operations” with Navis experts over the course of four months, Tecon RG became more comfortable and familiar with how to move forward with the upgrade independently.
Altogether, with the implementation of the N4 upgrade and the Professional Services engagement, as well as the significant investments in new terminal equipment, Tecon RG saw quick results:
- An increase of 55 moves per hour to 80 moves per hour – that’s a 45% increase in productivity.
- In addition, another 10-15% increase in productivity with Navis Professional Services engagement.
- Vessel operations reaching 140 moves per hour and 30 moves per STS crane.
- Overall, better information, better quality data, faster information, more access for customers, and quicker decision-making on the operations side.
COMMUNICATION IS KEY
How did all of these changes come about? Tecon RG implemented an extensive, broad-reaching communication plan that involved all departments and external stakeholders - clients, liners, cargo – and catered each approach to the varying needs of those different audiences. All parties involved had a clear picture of the projects timeline and effects, and a clear change management strategy was implemented with specialized training courses for each department. Having the board of directors engage with and be supportive of the upgrade project from start to finish was a best practice that Tecon RG recommends to other terminals taking on the upgrade.
Through a collaborative effort between Tecon RG departments and operations, the Navis Professional Services team, and all the stakeholders, Tecon RG has become a hub in the region. By leveraging strong teamwork and a collective vision on the end result, the project was executed smoothly and on time.